About Me

My photo
I am fun loving, light hearted, positive and determined individual who believes that we can all help each other, whether it be something small or something grand :)

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Another update…………


After my last blog post someone commented that my posts were so uplifting to read as they were always so positive and inspirational.  Well unfortunately I do not know how inspirational or positive this post is going to be.  I wish I could report something positive and although a couple of great learning experiences have occurred over the last couple of weeks; that has been masked by the fact that the reality of my situation is starting to hit home.


I am one who normally tries not to stress, but unfortunately as much as I try, it is obvious that everything that has been occurring is finally starting to weigh down which is presenting itself with the slew of headaches I have been having as of late, including the one I had today that was so bad it forced me to leave school and miss three of my four classes this morning.  I went home, popped a bunch of advil and took a shower to help alleviate the symptoms.  It is currently 18h30 and I still have not shaken this headache or the stiffness I feel running through my neck, my shoulders and down my back.   Plus, because of the way I have been feeling, I have not had my usual study schedule that I am used to and I have to say that the amount of time I have put in has been quite sub-par compared to what I have done and what I should be doing.  Which brings me to the surgery midterm exam that we had yesterday.  An exam that was worth 50% of our final grade; which on its own is stressful enough but now I have to deal with the fact that I have no idea how I did or what I got on the exam as the school decided to block access to my account because I still have a remaining balance of around $16,000us that I still have not paid.  I know I did not study as thoroughly as I should have, and I know there were many questions I was unsure of; so I could have technically done very well but I could have technically done very poorly.  Which I guess could be a blessing in a disguise in the sense that if I failed miserably that would be an added stress; although I have to say that not knowing is a bigger stress than knowing and dealing with it.

Similar to my current situation, I am in a state of limbo. Locked in between knowing and not knowing.  Which is very much a hassel and a stress to deal with.   I've been on this emotional rollercoaster since 4th semester; initially I did not think I’d have enough money for sixth and  seventh semester.  Then luckily with some help of family, friends and some planning on my part my only concern was being able to cover seventh semester so I could leave this island and not stress about having to come back to finish my last semester.  Once again, thanks to a bunch of generous people and my amazing mother I was able to work something out so that goal was accomplished. 
Then to the next step of my education, my clinical year at MSU.   Our game plan was to initially continue with what we have been doing, which was pretty much playing my finances on a month to month basis.  Advance a month, I'd be able to pay off some of the interest on my loan which would then free up some room so I can then pay the next month.  Plus in the process of living on a month to month basis it left the possibility of always finding a new door to open (so to speak), in that we have been constantly discussing my situation with a multitude of people but those are a work in progress and even though most of them say no at the moment, you never knew what can happen a month from now or a week or even 24hrs from now.  

Unfortunately, getting a student visa (which will actually be a temporary work visa) is where all the doors got barred up.  MSU is asking that I provide a letter of financial status to them within the next couple of weeks.  In this letter my bank is supposed to attest to the fact that I have $18,000 to cover my living expenses over the next year while living in Michigan.  As I just mentioned; this is not possible because I do not have those kinds of funds available to me at the moment.  I am living on a month to month basis and I can provide enough perhaps for a couple of months but nothing that would cover a year of expenses.  Obviously my bank is not willing to write such a letter without the funds being available, which is most understandable.

So pretty much without this proof of finances, I cannot get the documents required from MSU stating that I will be attending there school for the next year.  If I do not get this letter from them, this means I cannot complete my Visa documents so I can then get my temporary US visa so I can study in the states for the next year.  If I do not get my student visa then I definitely cannot finish up my clinical year in the states; which mean I do not graduate in April 2014 along with my other fellow greenies, which means I do not get my DVM which means I have then indebted myself for a little over $160,000 for nothing.  Which means at that point, my only real option would be to return to Canada; find a job as an animal health technician again and then try and raise enough money so I can then finish up my clinical year.  The nice thing is that I can potentially hold off on my clinical year for at least one year, maybe two.  The down side is that it is going to be a one to two year break from my studies; where despite my best efforts, I will no longer be in the “zone” so to speak.  I'll have to go into my clinical rotation with the information no longer being as clear and worst of all my thought process will no longer be primed for that last step of my veterinarian learning experience.  Despite the best efforts of any clinic I work at; I will fall into the routine of a technician and whatever cases I may take a look at; I will not get the same experience or criticism from others in regards to how I view that case and that patient.  My thought process will be skewed and who knows to what degree.  It is similar to when I used to play baseball; as a kid I was taught an improper technique of how to swing a bat; by the time someone told me what I was doing wrong and how to correct it; it was all that much harder to correct my imperfections, rather than learning it properly the first time and making minor adjustments to streamline it out.

So this is the current dilemma I am dealing with, and as much as I try not to keep this in my thoughts it is pretty much impossible to avoid at this stage of the game.  I knew this moment was always a possibility and I knew the odds of me getting the funds to complete seventh semester was trying enough, but I always just thought that somehow; someway things would work out and that I could move on to my clinical year with the rest of my colleagues.  Now that it is more of a reality rather than a thought it is a reality I really do not want to face and definitely hope I do not have to face.  I still have faith that somehow or someway it will work out, that somehow someway I will find a way to continue.  I am so thankful for everyone who has tried to help me whether it be financially or emotionally, and although I have not thanked everyone individually you will all be in my thoughts and I wish you nothing but the best.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart and for anyone who regularly reads my blog; please be aware that despite some of my negativity in this post; I will never give up on my dream and I hope that if you have a dream you will follow it and continue on until it is achieved.

I am supposed to be leaving this island is less than two months, what is to be my fate at the of this time period?  Am I going to the states to finish the last stage of this amazing journey or am I returning to Canada to delay the dream I have had for so long?
I am hoping for the former over the latter obviously, but at this point the amount of hope or faith that I have that this will occur is rapidly diminishing.   :S  As always I will do my best to keep you posted of any new developments as they arise.  

Once again if you happen to know of anyone who would be willing to listen or perhaps donate to my cause, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share my story with them.  

Jonathan =)
On a site note, I shall be spaying my first dog tomorrow and I am super excited about it.  Also, last week I was able to castrate a sheep and I am proud to say he is doing amazingly well without any complications J


No comments:

Post a Comment

Donate

Donate
All Donations are very much appreciated. Thank You.